Dolmenwood is live on Kickstarter from August 9th 2023!
Dolmenwood is a fantasy adventure game set in a lavishly detailed world inspired by the fairy tales and eerie folklore of the British Isles. Like traditional fairy tales, Dolmenwood blends the dark and whimsical, the wondrous and weird.
Players journey through tangled woods and mossy bowers, forage for magical mushrooms and herbs, discover rune-carved standing stones and hidden fairy roads, venture into fungal grottoes and forsaken ruins, battle oozing monstrosities, haggle with goblin merchants, and drink tea with fairies.
Streamlined rules and helpful introductory materials guide novice players, while unique new magic and monsters bring a fresh sense of the unknown to veteran role-players.
Free Preview PDF
Dive into Dolmenwood with a 76-page preview PDF of material from the 3 core books, including:
- A player's map of the Wood.
- The breggle Kindred and cleric and enchanter Classes.
- Fairy and holy magic.
- Hounds, pipeleafs, and retainers.
- Encumbrance and travel rules.
- Longhorn nobility faction, 4 hexes, Lankshorn town excerpt.
- 4 monsters: gargoyle, goblin, root thing, yickerwill.
We’re launching the 3 Dolmenwood core books, plus a range of extras. The Dolmenwood Player’s Book contains the complete game rules plus all character options. The Dolmenwood Campaign Book and Dolmenwood Monster Book present a detailed campaign setting and bestiary, ready for years of adventure!
Players may be a proud, goat-headed breggle, a starry-eyed elf stepped straight from Fairy, a tricksome grimalkin cat-fairy, a worldly or hapless human, a fungus-riddled mossling, or a capricious, bat-faced woodgrue. Choose from nine classes: the ardent cleric, wilful enchanter, dashing fighter, jolly friar, stealthy hunter, haughty knight, enigmatic magician, charming minstrel, or wily thief.
Designed for Play
Modern formatting and layout make the game easy to learn and a breeze to reference during play. Clear procedures for travel, camping, settlements, dungeons, encounters, and combat make running the game smooth and easy. PDFs are enhanced with clickable hex maps and text hyperlinks for instant navigation.
Open Sandbox World
Simple, flavourful rules for travel, exploration, and camping lead characters on adventures across the tangled expanse of the Dolmenwood map. Players can explore 200 map hexes, visit 12 detailed settlements, meet over 280 NPCs, and meddle with the schemes of 7 major factions: the Cold Prince, the Drune, the Human Nobility, the Longhorn Nobility, the Pluritine Church, and the Witches.
Familiar, Streamlined Rules
Dolmenwood uses a variant of the Old-School Essentials rules, customised and expanded to enhance the flavour of the setting, and streamlined with a handful of quality-of-life tweaks. The wealth of new Dolmenwood classes, items, magic, and monsters can be trivially used in Old-School Essentials games and vice versa.
Adventures, Minis, and More
In addition to the core books, we will be publishing a range of extras, including:
- Four adventures set in Dolmenwood: The Fungus That Came to Blackeswell, The Ruined Abbey of St Clewyd, Emelda’s Song, Winter’s Daughter.
- A set of 11 resin player character miniatures, including the unique new Dolmenwood kindreds and classes.
- A Dolmenwood GM screen, featuring beautiful 4-panel art by Pauliina Hanninuemi.
- Cloth and poster maps of Dolmenwood, including a GM’s map and a player-friendly map.
- An 8 track Dolmenwood soundtrack album by the artist Tales Under The Oak, available as 12" LP and digital download.
- A full set of Dolmenwood fungal dice.
Subscribe to the Old-School Essentials Newsletter
See the signup link at the bottom of the page.